Monday, March 15, 2004

Enio says that if, when I am writing about work, I only write about Marta, invisibilism and boredom then I am crazy. He means that I shouldn't focus on the negative. In his words, "we are lucky guys". He says I should write about everyone who makes me smile at work and he is right, of course.

Enio is my friend with the broken jeans, hair all over the place and the good heart, or so he says anyway. To me, he is a breath of fresh air in an increasingly smoggy city. On Saturday, the protests were still happening. At 10pm on the dot the people of Barcelona leant out of their windows or stood out on their balconies and made as much noise as they could with pots and pans and whistles and voices. When Enio came round, we went out on the moto, driving down to the centre of town and every time we stopped at traffic lights everybody blew their horns and made a racket in protest against terror. It made me feel local and pretty cool. When we were at the bar, we had deep conversation in Spanish and English (okok callate, nen... yo sé que estas leyendo...), mostly English, I confess... But it was good and so nice to talk properly again, when you feel like you're spiralling out of control as each thought inflates, grows branches and runs riot around your brain.

Lú is the only Brazilian person I know. Her stories make life sound wonderful and full of people and colour. I should have exploited the fact that she was in Barcelona while she was, and spent as much time with her as I could. As it is, she is back in Sao Paolo and I have big dreams of visiting one day. At her leaving party she was resplendently drunken. The night was all about her and she had been trying to breathe in the most of Barcelona before she left. For this reason, she hadn't slept in about four days.

Katherine big sistered me while she was here at the agency. She is another Brit and knows totally what it's like to feel ineloquent or stupid when you know, deep down, that you're not.

Martina has travelled everywhere, it seems. She has learned Spanish so quickly it scares me. I'm terrified of her when she is stressed and we fight sometimes but it is just that she knows what urgency really is and I still have no idea. I am incredibly jealous of her because she has quit her high-powered marketing job and is going travelling and seeing friends in Sydney (probably the only place she hasn't been yet) in June.

There are a lot more people who make me smile as well as these ones. But in indignant response to Enio's accusal that I am negative, I have noted the biggest smiles.

So, work's not bad at all.

No comments: